Sunday, August 23, 2009

Week 2...Check!

I am officially done with week 2. I did the w2d3 run yesterday morning, and am still sore! I have never been a runner before, at all. The other day I was reading on the c25k links about proper running form and I learned I'm doing it all wrong. Not a huge suprise! Anyway, I have always run heel, toe, just like I walk. It seems natural to me. I have been having some occasional shin pain and I read that you are supposed to land on the balls or your feet, and push off with your toes. So, if I understand correctly, the heels shouldn't really touch the ground at all while running. Is this right?

Well, I tried it yesterday and I have to say, it seemed really awkward to me. It felt like I was tip-toeing really quickly, like I was trying to chase someone quietly! I felt a little creepy! Luckily, there wasn't anyone in front of me, or I might have felt REALLY weird! I didn't have any pain while doing it, but the after-effects are longer-lasting! I'm sure I must have used different muscles!

Well, I'm going to try to do it that way again tomorrow (w3d1), hopefully it will start feeling more natural to me. I don't like feeling like a creep!!!!!!!! I just downloaded the week3 podcast from http://RunningIntoShape.com so I am ready. And if you were wondering, yes, this one has Brittney on it too!!!

5 comments:

  1. Your story is very inspirational! I am a speech-language pathologist who stumbled onto your blog through the Facebook links for the running program. Way to go! If you have spare time ( ha! I know that is a joke as I have 2 kids myself) your local Stroke support group could benefit from your story. Congrats!!

    Ps- today was my first day and your story will help inspire me. Funny thing is another speech therapist is who told me about the running program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, my physical therapist from my weight management program said that is the proper way. It's not that your heels shouldn't touch at all, just that you should really be pushing off the ground with the ball of you foot. I'm not a huge britney fan, but I do like working out to her her music! Week 4 is now posted! http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/
    Carli

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure if my story would be encouraging or discouraging because of my quick recovery and barely any lasting side effects. I will think about it... Maybe call someone there and get a feel for what they think... I am glad you'll be joining us on this journey! Let me know if you've joined the facebook group, I'd love to follow your progress!

    Carli - I don't really love her either, I do like her stuff for working out too! And thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heel to toe is my natural movement as well and that's how I run, but I do push off from the ball/toes of the foot with each staff. My feet kind of roll from back to front and push off. I've tried other forms and it just ends up hurting my knee joint because it's not natural for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! It feels great doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete