Monday, September 21, 2009

W5D2 - check. W6D2-what??

My son became ill last week, so that threw a wrench in my plan. He had a fever of 104.3 late Wednesday night. Needless to say, he did not go to the sitter on Thursday morning, so I didn't get to run or go to work. So, Friday, when Daddy was home, I got to go out for an evening run. I decided to go to the high school track that's just a few minutes away. I decided I really like running on a track so I can keep track of exactly how far I'm going. It was a beautiful evening out, so there were a few people there. I did pretty well. I made it 2 miles in my 1/2 hour.

I was really proud of myself!

Then, I looked at the training schedule and became terrified. I'd come to the dreaded 20 min. day. I tried. I promise you, I tried. I ended up running 10 min. walking 5, running 10. Turns out that is the exact same as the schedule for W6D2! I was pretty happy with that, but am determined that I am going to do all 20 minutes tomorrow. However, I did run further than ever on that run. I again went to the high school track and ran 10 laps - 2.5 miles! Yeah me!!

I think it may have been because I had an audience...of sorts. I got up early with the kids Sunday morning and then, about 9:30ish, headed out to run. I went to the track, and there were a bunch of cars parked there, and a table set up with snacks and drinks. I looked around a little more, and on the sidewalk, a guy had a big clock and was timing runners coming across what I gathered to be the finish line. I assumed I was not in the way, as they were on the sidewalk and I was going into the fenced area to the track, so I began. Soon, everyone started to filter into the fenced area and mill around. I thought maybe they were just hanging out?? Then, a few of them began to jog a little. One guy ran the whole track, the opposite way as me. Then another...

What the heck were they doing?? Well, eventually, the guy with the big clock/timer thing and the starting gun, meandered onto the track and began issuing instructions. Not that I could hear, I was listening to my podcast! Before he did that though, I asked him if I was in the way but he said I wasn't since I'd offered to stay in the outside lanes while they were there. But anyway, they were apparently having a 400meter "dash" now. I put that in quotes because for them it was a "dash" for me, it was a 3 minute run!! Anyway, They finished 2 heats of their "dash" by the time I'd finished my 30 minutes.

I asked 1 gal what they were doing and she explained the whole thing. Apparently, they start out with a 5k, then do a 400m dash, then a 1 mile run, followed by a 100m dash, topped off with a 10 mile run. They get 15 minutes of rest between each! It's called Pewterman's Pentathlon.

And here I was proud of my 2.5 miles!!! Maybe next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment